Austin is one of the fastest-growing cities in Texas. Here, you can live affordably and within easy reach of restaurants, parks, schools and other facilities. Surely, moving to Austin will be one of the best decisions you make in life; here are some tips to make relocating even easier.
1. Before You Move
- Call the utility companies. When you arrive in your new home, you really want the gas, water and electricity to be turned on and billed in your name. You can find a list of Austin utility companies on AustinRelocationGuide.com.
- Preview your apartment. If you are moving into our Springs at Lakeline or Springs at Round Rock apartments, you can look at photos and floor plans to get a better idea of your apartment's layout before you arrive. This way, you can plan where you'll put your furniture and get a jump-start on buying pieces you still need.
- Spend some time on social media. Look for local organizations and businesses whose services you're interested in, and like or follow their pages. Your newsfeed will start filling with Austin-related posts so you'll slowly start feeling more immersed in your new city. You may even find some upcoming events you want to attend once you move in.
2. Settle In
- Meet the neighbors. People in Austin tend to be very friendly, and most people are happy to chat if you introduce yourself. Plus, if you find that you need help moving a heavy item while you're unpacking, you'll have a new friend to ask.
- Order takeout. What better time to find your new go-to pizza place and Chinese food joint than when your kitchen supplies are all in boxes and you have no choice other than to order takeout? Browse Yelp to find the highest-rated takeout spots in your neighborhood, and go from there.
- Don't rush to unpack. You're probably also getting used to a new job, establishing a new routine and adapting to a new climate. Take your time unpacking so you don't feel over-burdened by all that’s going on.
3. Navigate the Social Scene
- Use Meetup.com to find new friends. Finding friends who share your interests is pretty easy in Austin. There are a lot of active Meetup groups that do everything from run in the park to paint. Sign up and start attending new events; you'll have a new group of friends in no time.
- Say "yes" to work-related activities. Attend that happy hour social, and go to the dinner party at a coworker's house. Not only will you meet new people, but you'll get a chance to explore more of Austin.
- Hang out in apartment common areas. Spend some of your downtime at the pool or in the pet area and strike up conversations with your new neighbors.
Current Springs residents, if you have additional tips for those who are new to the Austin area, share them below in the comments.