Is there a more appropriate name for a Fourth of July event than "Big Bang Celebration?" Join the mayor of Corpus Christi along with your family, friends and neighbors for this holiday extravaganza taking place July 2-5. Here are some of the event highlights to help you plan your schedule.
Thursday, July 2
- Spend a wet and wild day at Hurricane Alley Waterpark for a $10 admission price.
- Enjoy music under the stars with the Bay Jammin' Concert Series at Cole Park or the Street Party at Brewster Street Icehouse.
Friday, July 3
- Hurricane Alley Waterpark's $13 admission includes an evening Dive-In Movie screening of Godzilla.
- Head downtown for the popular monthly Corpus Christi First ArtWalk.
- Rock out at Concrete Street Amphitheater with 3 Doors Down and Theory of a Deadman.
- Share some family fun at Cole Park's Bay Jammin' Cinema Series with their screening of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
Saturday, July 4
- The big day begins bright and early at 7 a.m. with the "Four for the 4th Run" sponsored by Corpus Christi Roadrunners.
- What's a patriotic holiday without a parade? The traditional procession makes its way down Shoreline Boulevard starting at 11 p.m.
- Kids can have their own celebration at the Big Bang Kid's Zone from 11:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Activities include rides, bounce houses and face-painters.
- The latest addition to the Big Bang is the Food Truck Court at McCaughan Park from 11:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. Try a wide variety of culinary delights from the best food trucks throughout the Coastal Bend.
- Official Big Bang musical entertainment includes JonMikael Mrez at the Corpus Christi Visitor Information Center at 5:30 p.m. and Steven James & the Jaded at Cole Park at 7 p.m.
- Warm up for the main event at the Harbor Bridge Light Show beginning at 9 p.m. The display of flashing lights synchronized to patriotic music will be simulcast on 92.7 FM, 95.5 FM 1440 AM.
- The centerpiece of the festivities kicks off at 9:30 p.m. when the skies over Corpus Christi are filled with the spectacular sight of the Big Bang Fireworks Display. Grand View Lounge, Fajitaville Grille and Harrison's Landing are some of the bars and restaurants holding fireworks viewing parties.
Sunday, July 5
- The day after begins with the 7:30 a.m. Corpus Christi First Bridge Walk at Harbor Bridge.
- Harrison's Landing is hosting a 2 p.m. live show featuring jazz musician Kevin Hill.
Are you a Big Bang veteran? Do you have some tips to maximize the experience? Share them with us in the comments!