Reducing the electric bill at your Springs San Antonio apartment home does more than put money in your pocket. Cutting back on energy consumption conserves natural resources and promotes a healthier environment.
We've put together a list of five simple and effective ways to lower your electric bill. Using even one of them can make a significant difference.
1. Shut Down Appliances and Tech Devices
Even when TVs, computers and video games are turned off, they are draining "vampire energy" just by remaining plugged in. The easiest solution is to use power strips that allow you to shut down several devices at once.
Computers in sleep mode still use a fair amount of electricity, so you should turn them off completely when not in use. If you like the convenience of having the computer ready to go, program it for automatic start-up and shut-down.
2. Use Energy-Efficient Light Bulbs
Do you still have traditional incandescent light bulbs in your lamps? According to the U.S. Department of Energy, compact fluorescent lights (CFL) consume up to 80 percent less electricity and last up to 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Thanks to updated technology, CFL bulbs come in a variety of colors and types that eliminate the harshness of dated fluorescent lights.
3. Set the Washer for Cold Water
The majority of energy used by a washer involves heating the water. Most top detergent brands offer cold water laundry soaps for efficient washing without the heat. Cold water washing can also save time, since colors are less likely to run so you don't have to sort your clothes as strictly.
4. Use a Light Hand on the Thermostat
Heating and cooling are the largest energy drains on any household. Setting temperatures just a few degrees higher or lower results in sizable savings.
Our Springs San Antonio apartment homes include ceiling fans that are more than just attractive decor features. Running the fan counter-clockwise in summer and clockwise in winter improves air circulation, making heating and cooling more efficient. Keeping blinds and shades drawn against direct sunlight is another way to cool down.
5. Follow Energy-Saving Dishwashing Tips
- Pre-rinse dishes only long enough to remove large pieces of food.
- Load utensils with the top facing up so the water is concentrated on the soiled part instead of the handle. Cups and bowls go on the top rack facing down so they don't trap water. Plates should face the center on the lower rack.
- Use a quality detergent along with a rinsing agent and bypass the final drying stage.
Be sure to share your best energy-saving tips with us in the comments!