This article originally appeared on the Springs "You're Home Blog."
Dishwashers are great time- and labor-savers, but they need a helping hand to do the job right. Use these tips to get sparkling clean dishes every time.
- Load plates and bowls with the dirty side toward the center. They should be separated between prongs so the surfaces don't overlap.
- Pots, pans and other large items should be angled inward so the soap and water reach the right surface.
- Place cookie sheets, platters and other flat pieces along the back and sides to keep them from blocking the detergent.
- Silverware should be loaded handle-side down, unless the handle is so thin that it drops below the bottom of the basket and prevents the rack from sliding freely. Sharp knives should also be placed handle-side up.
- Mix up silverware to keep like items from nesting together.
- Cups and glasses go between the tines to avoid water spots.
- Load plastic items on the top rack away from the heat. Use surrounding items to anchor them so they don't flip over and fill with detergent and water.
- Spatulas, serving spoons and other large utensils should be placed flat on the top rack.
- There's no need to pre-rinse unless dishes will be sitting in the washer for a long time. Simply dispose of any large chunks of leftover food.
- Did you know that dishwasher detergent has a "freshness" date? Don't use product that's been stored for longer than two months. If possible, don't store it underneath the sink where excess dampness can cause clumping.
- Beware of overfilling the detergent dispenser or you might end up with a thin film on the dishes.
- Running a half-empty dishwasher is a waste of water and electricity, while a too-full dishwasher results in dishes that aren't properly cleaned. For best results, strike a balance between the two.
- White vinegar makes a handy "green" rinse aid.
No matter what level of cooking expertise you have, meal preparation and cleanup are a breeze in our Springs luxury apartment homes. The gourmet kitchens are equipped with modern amenities such as microwaves, islands, granite countertops, and — of course — dishwashers. Learn more from one of the friendly members of our on-site management teams!