Moving to a new city can be challenging enough, but moving to a new state can truly feel like going to a new world. If you're joining one of our Springs Twin Cities luxury apartment communities from out of state, welcome! Here are some tips for getting established quickly.
1. Establish Legal Residence
No matter how law-abiding you are, you could be in for a nightmare if your legal documents are not up-to-date. DMV.org has a handy checklist of what needs to be completed based on your old and new ZIP Codes:
2. Find Professional Service Providers
Before you move, check with your current doctor and dentist in case they might be able to give you referrals. If not, there are some online apps such as ZocDoc that let you search by area, specialty and insurance carrier. You should also find information about the closest hospital in case of emergency. And don't forget to look for a new vet for Fido and Fluffy.
3. Get Wired
It wasn't that long ago when cordless phones and VCRs were cutting-edge. Now we can't live without cell phones, laptops and Netflix. Find out if your cell phone provider will carry over and start lining up cable, Internet and any other tech services you may need.
4. Register for School
If you have kids, you'll want to get them registered at the appropriate school as soon as possible so they don't miss any time and they can start getting acclimated right away.
5. Play Tourist One Last Time
Before long, you won't be considered a newbie anymore. Travel around the area viewing everything through a tourist's eyes so you get a real feel for what makes the Twin Cities special.
6. Start Building a New Social Network
Don't put off social activities until you're "ready." The longer you procrastinate, the harder it will be.
- Take the first step and introduce yourself to your new neighbors. Plan a coffee date or invite them over once you're settled in.
- It's easier to bond over common interests. Get involved in an activity you enjoy, or use the move as an opportunity to try out some new ones. Meetup is a great source for local groups, along with social media apps such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Creating a new network doesn't mean you have to let go of the old one. Thanks to Skype and FaceTime, it's easier than ever to stay in touch with family and friends.
Our Springs on-site management team hosts a number of resident events throughout the year. We look forward to having you join us!