This article originally appeared on the Springs "You're Home Blog."
Moving to a new city is more than just a geographical change. You will often find yourself in an unfamiliar environment with a completely different culture. As with most of life's situations, preparation is the secret to success. Here are some tips to help you start your new life off on the right foot.
Before the Move
- Whether you'll be renting a truck or hiring a moving company, you should make arrangements with as much lead time as possible.
- If it's not possible to visit the area in person, use Google Earth to take a virtual tour of your new neighborhood.
- All cities have an official website that features useful information about services such as utilities, police, and fire departments along with information about licensing and other requirements. Bookmark the site in your computer or device for easy reference.
- Save time and work by creating a tentative layout for your furnishings using our 3D floor plans or interactive space planners.
During the Move
- Pack a small suitcase with some clothes and toiletries so you can shower and dress the first couple of days without digging through all you bags and boxes.
- You should also pack a box with your coffeemaker, toilet paper, disposable plates and utensils, and other items you'll need right away. Make sure the box is marked on the side where it's clearly visible.
- Who wants to turn on a stove after a long day of moving? Plan on your first night's meal being pizza, Chinese, or anything else you can get from delivery or carry-out.
After the Move
- The only deadline for getting settled in is one you impose on yourself. Take breaks from unpacking to explore your new surroundings, even if it's relaxing with a café mocha at a local coffee shop.
- Search Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites for groups in your new city. If you want, you can "lurk" for a while to get acclimated.
- But you can't sit in the background forever. The world's not going to come to you, so make a point of getting involved. Meetup is a great resource for finding groups with whom you share interests, or groups doing activities you'd like to try.
- The on-site management teams at our Springs luxury communities love meeting our residents and helping them meet each other. Get to know your neighbors by taking part in our happy hours, holiday events and other fun resident gatherings.
At Springs Apartments, our customer pledge is to deliver great customer service for your complete satisfaction. We're here to help! Stop by and talk to a member of our on-site management team about any questions or concerns you may have.