When dollar stores first began popping up on the landscape, people didn't take them seriously. After all, how much value can you get from something purchased for a dollar? As it turns out, quite a bit. Not everything is a great deal, but smart shoppers who know what to look for can make their dollars go a long way.
Here are some of the best buys you can find at the dollar store. After a few trips you'll learn to spot other items to add to this list.
1. Seasonal Accessories Why spend a lot of money on seasonal accessories that don't get much use? You can usually find some nice decorations, especially at Christmas time when the stores have wrapping paper and ornaments.
2. Party Supplies If you're throwing a party at your Springs Apartments home, put most of your budget into food and beverages. Head to the dollar store for supplies like paper plates, plastic tablecloths and balloons.
3. Glassware You can be ready to entertain anytime with a collection of plates, bowls and glasses. Glass dishes and containers can be used as serving pieces or table decor.
4. Spices Stock up on basic cooking spices like cinnamon and chili powder for a cost that's comparable to bulk pricing.
5. Storage Items Dollar stores are often a bonanza when it comes to storage products. You can often find food containers, sandwich bags and an assortment of baskets that double as home decor.
6. Craft Supplies Build up your assortment of craft supplies such as foam blocks, glitter and beads. These items are also great for children's art projects.
7. Cleaning Products Pass up the pricey name brands and pick up generic cleaning products. You can usually find good deals on items like sponges and rubber gloves as well.
8. Greeting Cards Greeting cards can cost almost as much as a gift. Dollar stores usually have a nice selection of cards for any occasion.
9. Socks Does your family go through socks faster than you can keep up with? You won't mind as much when you can get them for a dollar a pair.
10. Hair Accessories Hair accessories like clips, elastic holders and combs are always going missing. Keep an assortment on hand that you get from the dollar store.
You may end up making the dollar store a regular stop during your weekly shopping. What are some of the best finds you've made? Be sure to let us know in the comments.