You've likely heard the joke about being on a seafood diet, which ends with the punchline "Whenever I see food, I eat it." Or maybe you've heard the variation that concludes," I can see food, but I can't eat it."
The first version is the best choice if you find yourself lucky enough to be trolling for a seafood dinner in Rochester, MN. So you won't feel cast adrift when in the mood for the fruits of the ocean, here are some tasty possibilities to explore. Our city's seafood restaurants are one more reason to love living in Rochester.
(507) 280-6900 Located on the first floor of the DoubleTree Hotel downtown, Pescara abounds with fish and shellfish as its Italian name implies. It serves fresh fish from around the world. Daily selections range from Alaskan halibut to Costa Rican mahi mahi. A Mediterranean spin is evident in dishes such as cioppino -- a stew of crab, mussels, market fish, scallops and shrimp -- and a shrimp linguini with basil, parmesan cheese and tomatoes.
(507) 281-2451 Seafood is one of 300 First's specialties. Among its starters alone, you'll find Buffalo-style fried calamari, sautéed prawns and braised mussels. Dinner entrées include salmon glazed with apple butter, large sea scallops pan seared with tiger shrimp and a seafood fettuccine containing a variety of shellfish.
(507) 288-2360 Among its signature main courses, Mango Thai includes red curry sea bass, green curry mahi mahi, ginger salmon and lobster tail. Noodle dishes include a raad na seafood combo of scallops, shrimp, calamari and Chinese broccoli.
(507) 258-7888 Ootori specializes in Izakaya dining, which pairs rounds of delicacies with Japanese beers and wines. You'll find a wide variety of sushi rolls and sashimi -- thin slices of fresh raw seafood, including eel, octopus, salmon, tilapia, white tuna and ahi (yellowtail tuna). The menu also contains entrées served with miso soup, steamed rice and salad. One choice pairs crispy, breaded jumbo shrimp and tilapia with Japanese mayonnaise.
(507) 288-5283 Salmon, sushi and sashimi bento boxes are among the lunch choices at Osaka. Hibachi grilled dinners include ahi tuna, lobster tail, salmon, scallops and shrimp. Ask about the "lover's dinner" for two.
(507) 281-3342 Customers offer praise for prompt service, consistent quality and healthy choices. If you are a shrimp lover looking for an inexpensive lunch, this is the place. Portions are large, so you may want to split an entrée with a friend. Try the Banh Xeo, a Vietnamese shrimp and pork crepe.
(507) 288-2677 Aside from its extensive gluten-free menu, Twigs is unique in offering a variety of tempting sauces to top seafood dishes including shrimp, scallops and ahi. The sauces include raspberry chipotle and creamy cayenne horseradish. Ask about the surf and turf combo platter for two that contains scallops, shrimp, filet mignon, tavern-cut steak and Babcock pork.
Comfortable Apartment Living
Whether you are new to the metro area or have lived here a long time and are looking for a new community to call home, you'll find a comfortable lifestyle at the Springs at South Broadway. It's close to many delicious restaurants and fun things to do in Rochester.
Our pet-friendly apartment community features townhome-style apartments with ground floor entries. The amenities include smoke-free buildings, a 24-hour fitness facility, on-site management and free shuttle service to downtown and the Mayo Clinic. Contact us today for more information about our community and living in Rochester, MN.