As the 7th biggest city in the United States, you can bet that San Antonio is a popular vacation destination. Not only are there a ton of different sights to see and things to do, but with more than 1.3 million people living here, there’s also a ton of visitors as well. When you live in a city as great as San Antonio you get used to your friends and family wanting to visit, but when they do come to town, how do you decide what to do with them? With so many things to do, there’s no way to fit them all into one weekend, but you still want their trip to be memorable…
To help you narrow down your list of attractions, we’ve put together our own list of fun things to do. Without further ado, here are 12 different things to do with first-time visitors in San Antonio:
- Visit the Historic Alamo and learn about Davy Crockett and James Bowie. While you’re there, make sure you visit the rest of the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park (did we mention it’s free?!)
- Take in the sights, attractions, and food along the famous River Walk, and if you have time, check out one of the River Walk Riverboat Tours
- Take a ride to the top of the 750-foot-tall Tower of the Americas and enjoy panoramic views of the Alamo City
- Visit the interesting shops in the historic arts village, La Villita, to see the works of local artists and experience the history of one of San Antonio’s first neighborhoods
- Walk around Market Square (El Mercado) and spend some time shopping in the largest Mexican market in the U.S.
- Watch the Spurs defend their NBA title at the AT&T Center (or check it out at one of these awesome bars!)
- Check out the exhibits at some of San Antonio’s renowned museums, like The Witte Museum, McNay Art Museum, and San Antonio Museum of Art
- Take a walk through the King William Historic District to view the impressive mansions built during the 19th century
- Check out the collection of more than 3,500 animals at the San Antonio Zoo
- Get a glimpse of the record-breaking 78-point buck trophy and other interesting exhibits at the Buckhorn Museum and Texas Ranger Museum
- Stroll through the lush and peaceful Japanese Tea Gardens in Brackenridge Park and take a break near the 60-foot waterfall
- Spend a day hiking and exploring at Government Canyon State Natural Area
Can you think of any other places you absolutely have to go to during your first visit to San Antonio? Share them in the comments below!