Reducing the utility bill for your Springs luxury apartment home puts more money in your pocket each month and more "green living" points in your karma account. Our Springs management team has some helpful tips for cutting back on your energy consumption.
1. Manage "Solar Power"
You don't have to have an actual solar heating system to take advantage of the power of the sun. Keep blinds and drapes closed during summer for a cooling effect and open them during winter for added warmth.
2. Beware of Vampires
Vampire energy, that is. Computers, TVs and other devices often run on standby, meaning they draw electricity even when they're not in use. Adjust the power settings on computers and incorporate smart power strips that shut electricity off automatically.
3. Upgrade Light Bulbs
If you have traditional incandescent light bulbs in any of your lamps or lighting fixtures, replace them with newer, more energy-efficient light bulbs such as compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
4. Dial It Up ... or Down
Heating and cooling costs can change depending on the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures.
- During summer, set the thermostat at the highest comfortable temperature possible and don't run the air conditioning while you're away. Our Springs luxury apartments feature ceiling fans that circulate air to keep temperatures down.
- Use the opposite strategy during winter and keep your home as cool as you can tolerate. Each degree you lower the thermostat can reduce your utility bill by three percent.
5. Wash Day
- Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible. According to Consumer Reports, newer washing machines have been made for effective use with lower water temperatures to meet Department of Energy standards.
- Overloading the washer makes it hard to get clothes clean, and then too much power is needed to get them dry.
- Dishwashers should also be loaded to the proper capacity. Skip the drying cycle and let dishes air-dry.
6. Know Your Numbers
Do you know the utility rates in your community? Understanding peak usage times and other factors can help you develop energy-saving strategies. Visit the local energy company's website for more cost-cutting suggestions.
Share your energy-saving tips in the comments!